Tuesday 7 April 2009

Vito Day Three

Day Three took me back to Kpm. I spent three hours there waiting for the rear wheel steering problem to be righted, So I took a stroll over to have a chat with the sales Director at Kpm to voice my concerns. I told him I was afraid this might be a taste of things to come. He again assured me that my cab was the first to have this problem. Carlos's Voice ringing in my ears "It could only happen to you" Hence (Titanic). I think if he offered me a Tx4 right at that moment in Exchange. I cant say I wouldn't have taken him up on it. He said to me you are going to have to get used to working in a completely different way to the one you've become accustomed to. Which on reflection I have to Agree.

Anyway I had some Banking to do, so I killed some time off By walking up to Bethnal Green Road. On return The Mechanic that had come out to me two Days ago called my name & dangled the keys in my face. Saying That it had a faulty component that had been replaced & tested repeatedly. To be honest I just wanted to get out of there. So I thanked him and went about my day.

One thing I have become aware of that I shouldn't really be surprised about. Is that Joe Public are as totally conditioned with the use of cabs the same as I am. Because Quite often when I pull up after being hailed. They think they have to pull the door open. So end up Yanking the door to open it. Then repeating the exercise once inside to close it. With me Yelling its Automatic don't pull it. I have to confess It really Bug's me. So far Three people have actually asked me is it more expensive to ride in this cab. In general the feedback I get from the public is that they love it.

Little by Little I'm discovering things that have the potential to piss me off. Like the Handbrake.
Except it doesn't have One Well not in so many words. The Handbrake is actually a foot brake. And is applied with the left foot almost like a clutch on a ratchet. Coupled as i said before with no spare tyre. Its almost as though the designers had an afterthought. Shit we forgot the Handbrake and the spare wheel. Another is The fact that there are only two windows in the rear that open outwards Slightly. I do really think they could have put more effort into the Importance of this to the Cabbie. They must think we spend our days driving around suits.
The other thing that could potentially be a problem to some people are the dimensions. I'm led to believe its six inches Wider than a tx4 & Sixteen inches longer. I found myself Subconsciously avoiding 6'6" Width restrictions for the fear of scraping it down some post. I have since passed through a few with no problems whatever. Service Schedules are a minimum of 18,000 miles and up to 24,000 depending on the way it is driven. (Every 9000 in my Tx2).The engine management system lets you know when a service is due. The other big advantage is the fuel economy its definitely better than my old tx2. I will have to fill up the tank and Check the comparison from my old cab. Overall I think its growing on me as I get used to the different functions, Like the front & rear parking Sensors that incidentally can be turned On or off.
I will continue to post my experiences of the Vito, So watch this space & B' Lucky.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck , sounds like a nightmare to me..I work nights and My basic tx4 with open and shut doors and overall simplicity does the job thank you !

Theres a dac driver that had a blue merc s5 cab or something, hes exchanged it for a tx4 due to the problems and hassles you highlight.
But good luck with it anyway!

7 April 2009 at 09:11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi chris,
ive got an old 124 merc 1988, and my handbrake is a peddle next to the brake, so maybe its a merc thing... Di

7 April 2009 at 16:34  
Blogger NYC taxi photo said...

so there's no manual way to open the passenger doors? and they only open in park. it's all very interesting and I'm following too.

the only benefit i see, is that the regular taxi vans in new york often never have their doors closed all the way, and by being automatic that isn't a problem. but it seems like it wastes a lot of time to put it in park and wait for the doors to do their thing.

Good luck, I suppose it adds some more peace and luxury to everyone's day.

8 April 2009 at 20:19  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home